You are here
- Get started in Italian studies
- Get started in Spanish/Latin American studies
- Get books
- Get articles
- Get style manuals
I am available to assist with your research throughout the academic year. If you would like to arrange for an individual research consultation, please e-mail me with a requested date and time, and a brief description of your research interest.
The purpose of this guide is to recommend print and electronic resources for conducting research in Modern Languages at the J.N. Desmarais Library. Click on the links on the left for suggestions about starting your research, getting books and articles, and citing your sources for research.
For information about the Modern Languages program, including courses and faculty, please visit the Department's home page.
Modern Languages Librarian
In the library: The Library User Assistance Desk to your immediate left as you enter the library is a good place to start.
By email: Email the librarian responsible for your faculty for a reply during regular working hours.
By telephone: 705-675-4803, or toll free at 1-800-661-1058, ext. 2
For Distance Education students: Telephone: 1-800-661-1058, ext. 2 or email: Distance_l@laurentian.ca
Using reference publications
When you are looking for definitions or if you are not familiar with a subject, reference works such as dictionaries and encyclopedias become invaluable because they contain relatively short, authoritative articles. These articles lay out the parameters of a topic and can assist you in providing a specific focus. Often such articles are accompanied by lists of readings or bibliographies which allow you to explore the topic further. All of the resources listed below link either to the library catalogue record for each book or to an open-access website.
Literary and film studies
Italian film directors. 2010. Print.
Oxford companion to Italian literature. 2002. Print.
Dizionario biografico degli italiani. Website. Open access.
Enciclopedia biografica universale. Website. Open access.
Crusca online: virtual library. Website. Open access.
Dizionario della lingua italiana di Niccolò Tommaseo e Bernardo Bellini. Website. Open access.
Dizionario delle opere della letteratura italiana. 2006. Print.
Il Ragazzini: Dizionario inglese italiano, italiano inglese. 2003. 4. ed. Print.
Lo Zingarelli: vocabolario della lingua italiana. 2003. Print.
Encyclopedia Britannica. Online.
Enciclopedia italiana di scienze, lettere ed art. 1949. 35 vols. Print.
Encyclopedia of Italian literary studies. 2007. Print.
The Feminist encyclopedia of Italian literature. 1997. Print.
Literary and film studies
Italian film directors. 2010. Print.
Oxford companion to Italian literature. 2002. Print.
Using reference publications
When you are looking for definitions, or if you are not familiar with a specific subject, reference works such as dictionaries and encyclopedias become invaluable because they contain relatively short, authoritative articles. These articles often lay out the parameters of a subject and can assist you in trying to narrow your topic. Often such articles are accompanied by lists of readings (bibliographies) which allow you to explore the topic further. All of the resources listed below link either to the library catalogue record for each book or to an open-access website.
Reference resources in Spanish/Latin-American studies
Manual de estilo. 2008. 2. ed. Print.
Diccionario de americanismos. 2010. Print.
Nueva gramática de la lengua española. 2009. 2 vols. Print.
Encyclopedias: Latin America
Early Spanish American narrative. 2004. Print.
Enciclopedia hispánica. 1992-93. 18 volumes. Print.
Encyclopedia of contemporary Latin American and Caribbean cultures. 2000. Online and print.
Latin American women writers: an encyclopedia. 2008. Print.
Centro virtual Cervantes. Website. Open access.
Enciclopedia hispánica. 1992. Print.
The Feminist encyclopedia of Spanish literature. 2002. Print.
Literary studies: Latin America
Cambridge companion to the Latin American novel. 2005. Print.
Companion to Latin American literature. 2007. Print.
Handbook of Hispanic cultures in the United States. 1993-94. 4 vols. Print.
Handbook of Latin American literature. 1992. Print.
Hispanic literature criticism. 1994. Print.
Historia de la literatura española. 1966. Print.
Historia de la literatura hispanoamericana. 1974. Print.
The Oxford book of Latin American essays. 1997. Print.
Structures of power: essays on twentieth-century Spanish American fiction. 1996. Print and online.
Literary studies: Spain
Breve historia feminista de la literatura español. 1993. 2 vols. Print.
Cambridge companion to the Spanish novel. 2003. Print.
Cambridge history of Spanish literature. 2004. Print.
New history of Spanish literature. 1991. Print.
Cinema of Latin America. 2003. Print.
Companion to Spanish cinema. 2008. Print.
Contemporary cinema of Latin America. 2003. Print.
Call numbers for Modern Languages
PC 1001-4071 Italian language
PQ 4001-4886 History and criticism of Italian literature, literary collections, and works of individual authors arranged by era.
DG 417-975 Italian history
PC 4861-4971 Spanish language
PQ 6001-6293 History and criticism of Spanish literature, literary collections, and works of individual authors arranged by era.
DP 1-638 Spanish history
Spanish American studies
PC 4861-4971 Spanish language (including Spanish America)
PQ 7061-8560 History and criticism of Spanish American literature, arranged by country and era, and works of individual authors by era.
F 1201-3799, Spanish American history, arranged by country and era.
Recommended databases for Modern Languages
- ABI/Inform Global
- ABI/Inform Trade & Industry
- Abstracts in Anthropology
- Academic OneFile
- ACLS Humanities Ebooks
- ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) Digital Library
- ACS Web Editions
- Alcohol Studies Database
- America: History and Life
- American Mathematical Society (Proceedings and Transactions)
- Année philologique
- Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature
- Annual Review of Anthropology
- Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Annual Review of Biochemistry
- Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology
- Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences
- Annual Review of Physical Chemistry
- Annual Review of Political Science
- Annual Review of Psychology
- Annual Review of Sociology
- Annual Reviews
- Anthropology Plus
- Art & Architecture Source
- ARTFL (American Research on the Treasury of the French Language) Project
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- ASFA: Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries Abstracts
- ASTIS Arctic Science and Technology Information System (ASTIS) database
- ASTM Standards
- Athabasca University Press
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials
- Atlas of Canada
- A to Z E-Journals
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
- BDSP (Banque de données en santé publique)
- bepress Legal Repository
- Bibliography of Canadian Geomorphology
- Bibliography of Native North Americans
- Bibliothèque numérique de la francophonie des Amériques
- Bibliothèque numérique Les classiques des sciences sociales
- Bibliothèque numérique TV5MONDE
- Bibliothèque universelle de l'ABU
- Bioline International
- BioOne Complete
- BIOSIS Citation Index
- Book Review Digest Retrospective: 1903-1982 (H.W. Wilson)
- Books at Ovid
- Business Source Complete
- Campbell Collaboration
- Canadian Book Review Annual
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs™ (CBCA) Complete
- Canadian Feature Film Database
- Canadian Labour History Bibliography, 1976-2009
- Canadian Music Periodical Index
- Canadian Newsstand Major Dailies
- Canadian Periodicals Index Quarterly (CPI.Q)
- CANSIM from CHASS
- CANSIM (Statistics Canada)
- Career Cruising
- Catalogue of Laurentian University
- Census returns (1825-1921)
- China: Trade, Politics and Culture, 1793 - 1980
- Civil Engineering Database
- Classical Music Library
- Classical Scores Library
- ClinicalKey (courtesy of NOSM)
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005-
- Cochrane Summaries
- Collection of Computer Science Bibliographies
- Communication and Mass Media Complete
- Computing Reviews
- Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms
- Corsini Encyclopedia of Psychology
- CPG Infobase: Clinical Practice Guidelines Database
- DART-Europe E-Theses Portal
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE)
- Defining Gender, 1450 - 1910
- Dictionary of Old English
- Directory of Open Access Books
- Directory of Open Access Journals
- Dissertations and Theses (ProQuest)
- Dissertations & Theses @ Laurentian University
- DLI Beyond 20/20 Web Data Server (WDS) (Statistics Canada)
- DLI Nesstar (Statistics Canada)
- Early Canadiana Online
- Early Canadian Periodicals to 1920 (via Early Canadiana Online)
- Early English Books Online
- Ebook Central (was: Ebrary)
- Ebooks libres et gratuits
- EBSCOHost eBook Collection
- EBSCOhost Platform Databases
- eCampusOntario Open Textbooks
- Education Index Retrospective 1929-1983 (H.W. Wilson)
- Education Line
- eHRAF Archaeology
- eHRAF World Cultures
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online
- Eighteenth Century Journals
- Emerald E-book Collection
- Empire Online
- Encyclopaedia Universalis
- Encyclopedia Britannica
- English Short Title Catalogue
- ERIC (ProQuest)
- EThOS — E-Theses Online Service
- Eureka (Biblio Branchée)
- European Views of the Americas: 1493 to 1750
- Evidence Based Medicine Reviews Multifile
- Evidence-based Synthesis Program Reports (US Dept. of Veterans Affairs)
- Film Literature Index
- Film & Television Literature Index
- First Nations Periodical Index
- French 17
- Frontier Life: Borderlands, Settlement & Colonial Encounters
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Globe & Mail (Historical)
- Google Scholar
Set your "Library Links" to include "Laurentian University - Get full text" at https://scholar.google.ca/scholar_settings for easy off-campus access
- GQuery (NCBI cross-database search)
- Grand Robert & Collins en Ligne
- Grand Robert en Ligne
- Grzimek's Animal Life
- Historical Abstracts
- Historical Atlas of Canada
- House of Commons Parliamentary Papers
- Hubert Wenger Eskimo Database
- Humanities & Social Sciences Index Retrospective: 1907-1984
- IEEE Xplore - Ebook Collection
- IEEE Xplore - Journals and Magazines
- IMF eLibrary Data
- IMSLP Petrucci Music Library
- Index to Legal Periodicals Retrospective: 1908-1981
- Institute of Physics (IOP) Journals
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences
- Internet Broadway Database
- Iter: Gateway to the Middle Ages and Renaissance
- Jazz Music Library
- Joanna Briggs Institute EBP Database
- Labour Studies Index
- LactMed (Drugs and Lactation Database)
- Lexis-Nexis Academic
- Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts (LISA)
- Libris Canadiana
- Literature Online (LION)
- Literature Resource Center
- LU ZONE
- Mass Observation Online
- Medieval Travel Writing
- Medline (Ovid)
- Mental Measurements Yearbook
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- MINABS: Mineralogical Abstracts (1982-2008)
- MLA International Bibliography
- NARIC - National Rehabilitation Information Center
- NASA Astrophysics Data System
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS) Abstracts Database
- National Forest Service Library
- Native Health Database
- Naxos Music Library
- New York Times Current Digital Microform
- NFB (National Film Board)
- Nineteenth-Century Short Title Catalogue
- North American Mammals
- NOSM: Health Information Resource Centre Databases
- NOSM: Health Information Resource Centre E-Books
- NOSM: Health Information Resource Centre E-Journals
- NRC (National Research Council) Journals
- NUMDAN: Archives of French Mathematics Journals
- Nursing Resource Center
- odesi (Ontario Data Documentation, Extraction Service and Infrastructure)
- OECD iLibrary
- Ontario Population Health Index of Databases (OPHID)
- OPHEA - H&PE Curriculum Resources
- OPHEA - Safety Guidelines
- Orlando: Women's Writing in the British Isles
- OVID Nursing Journals
- Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
- Oxford Handbooks of Archaeology
- Oxford Handbooks Online
- Oxford Reference Online
- Oxford Scholarship Online
- Oxford Music Online
- PAIS International
- Periodicals Archive Online
- Philosopher's Index
- PILOTS: Published International Literature on Traumatic Stress
- Population Index
- Project MUSE
- Proquest Asian Business & Reference
- ProQuest Asian Business & Reference
- ProQuest Business Databases
- ProQuest Digital Microfilms
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers: The Globe and Mail (1844-2010)
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers: The New York Times (1851-2013)
- ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source
- ProQuest Platform Databases
- ProQuest Political Science
- Readers' Guide Retrospective: 1890-1982
- Regional Business News
- RePEc (Research Papers in Economics)
- RILM Abstracts of Music Literature
- Royal Society of Chemistry Journals
- Sage Journals
- Sage Knowledge Collection
- Scholars GeoPortal
- Scholars Portal
- Scholars Portal - Ebooks
- Scholars Portal - Ejournals
- SciFinder Scholar
First time users of SciFinder will need to register at https://goo.gl/6Tdmt2 before being allowed access.
- Slavery Abolition and Social Justice, 1490 - 2007
- Social Services Abstracts
- Social Work Abstracts
- Sociological Abstracts
- Springer LINK
- Sudbury Star Online Archives
- Taylor & Francis E-books
- Taylor & Francis Online
- Teacher Reference Center
- TEL — Multidisciplinary Theses Server
- Termium Plus
- The Canadian Encyclopedia (TCE)
- Theses Canada
- Thieme Ebooks
- TOCS-IN (Tables of Contents of Journals of Interest to Classicists)
- Understanding Shakespeare
- ViVa: A Bibliography of Women's History in Historical and Women's Studies Journals
- Wall Street Journal Current Digital Microform
- Web of Knowledge
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Forensic Science
- Wiley Online Library
- Women in Politics Bibliographic Database
- World Bank Open Data
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
Modern Languages Librarian
The process of citation
The intent of the citation process is to list a resource that you utilized, such as a book, article or website, in an open and transparent way that makes it easy to locate. Thus the citation for a book normally gives such key attributes as:
- title, author, place of publication, publisher, date, and page number.
For journals, you would give:
- journal title, article title, author, volume number, issue number, date, and page numbers. Note that you do not have to list the place of publication.
For government publications, you would list the document in terms of the agency that created it, e.g.:
- the country, state or province, the ministry, department and/or committee, and so on.
In general, with these kinds of publications, the more bibliographic detail you can provide, the better. The same is true of local or "alternative" publications as well as archival materials, all of which are frequently hard to locate in library collections.
Style manuals help you to set out your sources and presentation in an organized, logical and consistent way. Below is a sampling of the most important ones:
APA Style Manual. The sixth edition (2010) of this standard publication, used especially in the social sciences, includes recommendations for citing online materials.
Chicago Manual of Style. Now in its 16th edition (2010), this book is the bible for writers, editors and publishers. It is replete with examples and advice on all aspects of form and style.
A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations. Kate L. Turabian. This is the classic short form of Chicago style, used in the humanities and social sciences.
MLA Style Manual. Published by the Modern Language Association, this 3rd edition (2008) is the standard resource for scholarly work in the humanities.
The Purdue Online Writing Lab is a terrific website for learning how to cite using the APA and MLA manuals.
The value of ethical research
The purpose of research is to develop an informed opinion and perspective on your topic that, in turn, can lead to meaningful conversation and insights, whether in written, oral or visual form. it is essential to the critical method that the sources you consulted are acknowledged and documented. This makes clear the literature you reviewed in developing your perspective. In the process you may also discover analysis and facts that you were not aware of, and this helps you to avoid the pitfall of simplistic thinking. Last but not least, you also improve your own research and writing skills, which results in a stronger presentation. These are skills that will last you a lifetime.
Plagiarism, on the other hand, is the failure to acknowledge sources. Worst of all is handing in work that is not your own, but copying or paraphrasing the work of others without acknowledgement is also plagiarism. This shows disrespect for a major standard of academic conduct that can result in disciplinary action. Please see Laurentian's policy on Academic Integrity.