You are here
COVID-19: Library and Archives FAQ
This document will be updated as the situation evolves. Last updated: December 15, 2020
- How can I return items to the Library?
- Which libraries on campus are open to the public?
- How can I get research help?
- How can I access library digital resources when working off-campus?
- Can I borrow a physical item from a Library?
- How does HathiTrust enable online access to books in our print collection?
- Can I request a scan of a book chapter or journal article?
- How can I renew an item?
- Can I request course reserves?
- Can I still order an article or book chapter through interlibrary loan (RACER)?
- Can I order books from other libraries via RACER?
- Can I still access materials in archival fonds?
How can I return items to the Library?
Follow these instructions to return books borrowed from the J.N. Desmarais and Architecture Libraries, including books received through RACER.
Fines for overdue materials resumed September 12, 2020. You were not charged fines between March 11 to September 11, 2020.
Which libraries on campus are open to the public?
- J.N. Desmarais Library: closed
- Architecture Library: closed
- J.W. Tate Library (Huntington): hours of operation
- University of Sudbury: closed
- Curriculum Resource Center: closed
- Music Resource Center: hours of operation
How can I get research help?
- Online chat: Ask the Library
- Email: contact your faculty liaison librarian
- Zoom or phone: book an appointment with your faculty liaison librarian
How can I access library digital resources when working off-campus?
Start at the library homepage. All of the links from the catalogue search, databases, and research guides lead you through our proxy server, which proves to publishers that you're a Laurentian University community member.
Can I borrow a physical item from a library?
Yes, in Omni, find the item and Request an item from any Laurentian campus library.
We offer pickups during the following times:
- Monday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Architecture Library
- Monday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - J.W. Tate Library (Huntington)
- Tuesday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Desmarais & Architecture Library
- Wednesday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Desmarais Library
- Wednesday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - J.W. Tate Library (Huntington)
- Wednesday 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. - Architecture Library
- Thursday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Desmarais Library
- Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. - J.W. Tate Library (Huntington)
Please note that if a title is available online through HathiTrust (see below), you will not be able to borrow the print book.
If you live farther than 50 km from Laurentian University campus, we can ship books to you. Submit your request using RACER. Update your address and use the blank request form in the left hand menu. Books will be mailed to you and we will also send you a prepaid shipping label to return the books.
How does HathiTrust enable online access to books in our print collection?
How to find ebooks available through HathiTrust
- If a book is temporarily available through HathiTrust, you cannot request it for curbside pickup. If you do request a book available through HathiTrust, don’t worry, we’ll let you know!
- The check out period is one hour but automatically renews if you remain active, unless someone else is trying to access it.
- You cannot download a book.
- The number of copies in our print collection matches the number of copies available online. If Laurentian owns 1 print copy, only 1 user can access the book at a time.
Can I request a scan of a book chapter or journal article?
Yes. In Omni, find the item and submit a Digitization request. If you need a different file format, let us know in the comments section of the form.
How can I renew an item?
To renew your items, sign in to your Omni account and select My Loans from the menu. Check the items to renew, and click Renew. The items display the new due date. If you can’t renew an item, email the Library that loaned you the item:
Can I request course reserves?
Faculty can ask us to scan articles or book chapters from print items that they can then add to D2L.
Can I still order an article or book chapter through interlibrary loan (RACER)?
Yes. Complete your order through RACER and the article will be emailed to you. There can be a significant delay and we might not be able to fulfill some requests.
Can I order books from other libraries via RACER?
No. Most libraries in Ontario and beyond are not yet lending print items to other campuses. You are able to request a copy of a book chapter.
Can I still access materials in archival fonds?
The Archives reading room is closed to the public but we are accessible by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 705-675-1151 ext.3306. We are available to help, answer your questions and for consultations. Visit the homepage of the Archives for more information.
For information relating to symptoms, spread, how to protect yourself and your family, self-monitoring, self-isolation or other information relating to COVID-19, please refer directly to the information provided by Public Health Sudbury & Districts. The City of Greater Sudbury also has a webpage on various services in relation to COVID-19. Please see other Laurentian University information relating to COVID-19 safety and the status of various campus services.