You are here
Welcome to the Physics Research Guide! Here you can find tips on how to find and use information pertaining to Physics. Please explore the links and feel free to contact us for any additional information or help using our resources.
Basic online library instruction is available in either official language using Laurentian's Desire2Learn platform.
For special instruction in this subject during class time, ask your professor to arrange a class by contacting Mr. Lamothe, ext. 3304.
In the library: The Library User Assistance Desk to your immediate left as you enter the library is a good place to start.
By email: Email the librarian responsible for your faculty for a reply during regular working hours.
By telephone: 705-675-4800, or toll free at 1-800-661-1058, ext. 2
For Distance Education students: Telephone: 1-800-661-1058, ext. 2 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Searching the Catalogue
The catalogue is your primary tool for finding books in the J.N. Desmarais Library. You can also use the catalogue to find other materials, including government publications and journals (including individual articles).
You can search the catalogue by:
- Call Number
When you know the book you are searching for, pick Title or Author; when you are searching for a topic, start with Keyword unless you know the exact Subject heading describing your topic.
More on searching the Catalogue is available in Module 5 of the Research Skills Tutorial in D2L.
Additional Print Resources
- Dictionary of Physics (2nd Floor: Ref. QC 5 C56 1996)
- Encyclopedia of Physics (2nd Floor: Ref. QC 5 E545 1991)
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (2nd Floor: Ref. QD 65 H3 / 3rd Floor: QD 65 H3)
Laurentian uses LC Classification. Some patrons may wish to browse for books in the stacks; Physics is classified under science (Q) and more specifically, under QC - Physics. The following are some key Physics designations:
QC 1-77 - General
QC 251-338.5 - Heat
QC 350-467 - Optics, Lights
QC 501-766 - Electricity and Magnetism
QC 770-798 - Nuclear and Particle Physics, Atomic Energy, Radioactivity
QC 811-849 - Geomagnetism
QC 851-999 - Meteorology, Climatology (including the earth's atmosphere)
- Some may be located by using the library’s catalogue and selecting "Books & eBooks" as the "Material Type" and then further filtering your results by "Available online".
- E-books can also be located by searching in e-book collections. Searching in these collections is the same as searching in a database.