You are here
This guide provides recommendations for print and electronic resources for research in psychology. If you would like to make an individual appointment, please e-mail me to arrange a date and time, as well as giving a brief description of your project.
To learn more about the library and its resources and how you can exploit them to your advantage, register in the Research Skills Tutorial on D2L. There are several sections in the tutorial with a short quiz at the end of each; at the end you will receive a Certificate of Completion. Many professors require you to take this tutorial--and once you finish it, you can save your certificate to reprint as often as necessary.
We can hold special classes at the request of at least 5 students. If you would like to arrange a special class, or you think your course would benefit from some in-class library instruction, please ask your professor to contact the librarian responsible for your faculty to set up some sessions.
In the library: The Library User Assistance Desk to your immediate left as you enter the library is a good place to start.
By email: Email the librarian responsible for your faculty for a reply during regular working hours.
By telephone: 705-675-4800, or toll free at 1-800-661-1058, ext. 2
For Distance Education students: Telephone: 1-800-661-1058, ext. 2 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- APA dictionary of lifespan developmental psychology. 2013. Print.
- APA dictionary of psychology. 2015. 2nd edition. Online.
- APA dictionary of statistics and research methods. 2014. Online.
- Cambridge dictionary of psychology. 2009. Online.
- Dictionary of psychology. 2015. 4th ed. Print.
- Penguin dictionary of psychology. 2009. 4th ed. Print.
- Thesaurus of psychological index terms. 2007. 11th ed. Print.
- 21st century psychology. 2008. Print and Online.
- International handbook of psychology. 2000. Online
- Handbook of adolescent psychology. 2004. 2nd ed. Print.
- Handbook of child psychology. 2006. 6th ed. 4 volumes. Print.
- Handbook of developmental psychology. 2003. Print.
- Handbook of depression. 2014. Print.
- Handbook of psychology. 2003. 12 volumes. Online and print.
- Handbook of social psychology. 2006. Online.
- Handbook of stress: neuropsychological effects on the brain. 2011. Print.
- SAGE handbook of measurement. 2010. Online and print.
- SAGE handbook of qualitative research in psychology. 2008. Print & online.
- The science of reading. 2007. Online/Print.
- The Corsini encyclopedia of psychology. 2010. 3rd ed. Online.
- Encyclopedia of educational psychology. 2008. Online.
- Encyclopedia of identity. 2010. Online.
- Encyclopedia of positive psychology. 2009. Print.
- Encyclopedia of psychology. 2000. Online.
- Encyclopedia of statistics in behavioral science. 2005. Print.
- Encyclopedia of stress. 2007. Print.
- Encylopedia of the mind. 2013. Print/online.
- SAGE encyclopedia of theory in psychology. 2016. Online.
- DSM-5: Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 2013. Print. Online.
- Essentials of WMS-IV assessment. 2011. Print.
- IBM SPSS statistics 19 made simple. 2012. Print.
- Publication manual of the American Psychological Association. 7th ed. 2020. Print.
Get call numbers
Books on psychology are classified by the Library of Congress from BF 1 to BF 990.
38 Philosophy of psychology
176 Psychological tests and testing
180 Experimental psychology
309-499 Consciousness. Cognition (including learning, attention, comprehension, memory, intelligence, etc.)
511 Affection. Feeling. Emotion
608 Will. Volition. Choice. Control
636 Applied psychology
660 Comparative psychology. Animal and human psychology
692 Psychology of sex. Sexual behavior
697 Differential psychology. Individuality. Self
699 Genetic psychology
712-724.85 Developmental psychology (including infant psychology, child psychology, adolescence, adulthood)
795-839 Temperament. Character
PSYC 4104E Theses
The Archives holds all print theses prior to 2010. Search by Location, Archives 1st floor - 4th theses and essays, and then click on the button, Apply Filter. Since 2015, these theses have been included in UZoneUL, the university research repository that the library oversees.
Articles: Quick Tips
The databases to the right provide references to many scholarly journal articles and papers.
- Start off with keyword searches expressing your topic. Keyword searching crosses all fields.
- Use Search Operators such as "OR" and "AND" to expand or reduce your results.
- Review those items that look relevant, then, exploit the details within those entries to help lead you to other relevant articles.
- Pay attention to the subject headings (often called "descriptors") to see how the database describes your topic and use them to find related articles.
- Find other papers written by the same author; these will typically be on similar subjects.
- Follow citation trails: other articles that have cited this article will probably be on a related subject and will include citations to other articles of interest.
- For more Secrets of Searching a Database, review that section in How to Research Like a Librarian.
Peer Review is the evaluation of creative work by scholars in the same field in order to maintain or enhance the quality of the work in that field.
In the case of peer reviewed journals, which are usually academic, peer review generally refers to the evaluation of the articles in them prior to publication. For more, check out this definition of peer review.
- To ascertain whether a journal is peer reviewed, consult Ulrichsweb.
Getting Articles @ Laurentian
In any database, when you see an article that interests you, click on it and, unless the article is available within the database itself, within the record you will see an image that says "Get it @ Laurentian":
When you click on that, you will arrive at a menu which will lead to an electronic copy of the article you want, or, if not available electronically, to Laurentian's catalogue which will allow you to check if the article is available in print in the library, and if not, to a final link which allows you to order the item through Interlibrary loan.
Reference resources for assessment
Comprehensive handbook of psychological assessment. 4 vols. 2004. Print.
Handbook of psychological assessment. 1990. Print.
Additional references are listed in the Catalogue. Use Psychological Tests as a subject heading.
Citing with APA
Tracking Your Research
- Directly import references from article databases, the library catalogue, e-book collections, etc.
- Manage and organize your references.
- Create a bibliography.
- Share your references with others
- Add in-text citation and a bibliography directly into your assignment
To enable Zotero's Library Lookup service to find full-text documents licensed by Laurentian University, set Edit->Preferences->Advanced->General->Resolver to
Getting started with Zotero:
- Follow this Guide for Laurentian Users (Feb. 2021)
- Contact the librarian supporting your faculty.
- Sign up for library workshops when available.
- View Quick Start Guide (video) or Tutorials (videos)
- Consult one of Zotero's own User Guides, McMaster University's Quick Start Guide, or the Zotero Guide by Ontario Tech University