You are here
Citation Styles in Laurentian's Law and Justice Program
At Laurentian, your professor will specify the citation style to be used. In Law and Justice, it is often Chicago but you might also be asked to use APA or MLA. The library has an online guide for the various citation styles. The standard resource for legal citation is:
Canadian guide to uniform legal citation. 8th ed. 2014. Also known as The McGill Guide.
Other Guides to Legal Citation and Research
Canadian legal research and writing guide. Open access ebook.
Cardiff index to legal abbreviations. Open access international index of short forms.
Zotero is a free, web-based citation manager that allows you to:
- Directly import references from article databases, the library catalogue, e-book collections, etc.
- Manage and organize your references.
- Create a bibliography.
- Share your references with others
- Add in-text citation and a bibliography directly into your assignment
Getting started with Zotero:
- Sign up for library workshops when available.
- View Quick Start Guide (video) or Tutorials (videos)
- Consult one of Zotero's own User Guides or McMaster University's Quick Start Guide or the Zotero Guide by the University of Ontario Institute of Technology